Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Doctor Doctor

I spent most of the day yesterday at the ENT. After the usual poking, prodding, and even a hearing test, he diagnosed me as having an acoustic concussion. Yes, that's right, an acoustic concussion and don't try googling it 'cause you won't find squat. It would seem that the confluence of 1. the noise while at the green grocer, and 2. the window falling on me on Sunday upset my equilibrium. So my right ear is affected, and I'm consequently off-balance (as in, my entire right side feels heavier and longer than my left side), and disoriented by sound/light, much as one is with a regular concussion.

So I've been vigilant with the ear plugs, avoided using the phone (since I can't hear much any way), and have been napping as necessary to deal with the constant sensation of vertigo. He claims it should go away within a few days. Hopefully that means by Shabbos I'll be back to normal. Then again, if not, I suppose it gives me carte blanche to be a lazy bones.

That's the latest. I'll make sure to keep you all posted.

2 comments: