Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Potato, Potatoe

Being yekki, we grew up eating a lot of potatoes. My father adored when I made potato salad, and I would make it one of three ways for him, depending on his mood: with oil, with mayonnaise, or with oil and mayonnaise.

My eating habits have changed over the years and now I am more health conscious than in my youth. Here is the latest way that I have been making potatoes for Shabbos, which just happens to be low fat but tasty. Hope you enjoy!

INGREDIENTS
2 cloves garlic peeled to each potato
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
parsley, to taste
Up to 2 tbsp olive oil

PREPARATION
Boil the garlic and potatoes together in a pan until the potatoes are very tender. Remove from heat, drain and let cool slightly. While still warm, mash the vegetables together until smooth. Sprinkle parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle olive oil over the vegetables. For a tangier taste, add two tablespoons lemon juice.

Suggestion: You can substitute 1/2 of small onion for each potato instead of garlic. Peel and chop the necessary amount of onion. Then, while the potatoes are boiling, fry the onions in olive oil. Once the potatoes are drained and cooled, add the onions and frying oil in to the potatoes. Mash, then add the seasonings.

No comments:

Post a Comment