Thursday, July 31, 2008

Colour Me What?

During all my recent blabbering on about the lack of colour in Brooklyn wardrobes, I was busy reading up on colour analysis. And, while I am definitely not innately a girlie-girl, I admit to becoming obsessive about determining which of the colour analysis seasons I fall into: winter, summer, spring, autumn.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with colour analysis, a quick look at your combination of skin tone, hair colour, and eye colour enable you to categorize yourself as one of the seasons. Armed with that knowledge, you can then build your wardrobe/makeup around the colours included in the colour palette for your season. For you guys out there, this works for you too! For example, you could apply the colour palette when choosing ties, belts, cuff links, shoes, etc.

What's so important about colour if you live in Brooklyn and don't wear colour? Well, like it or not, we all wear some colour, and knowing the right colours to wear (for our makeup, for our ties, etc.), will add a bit of zing to our presence. In other words, one can remain tznius while looking one's best. Think about the boys in shul in their black suits/white shirts: the ones who wear the right coloured ties for their combination look the healthiest, the most vibrant. Now, if you're a married woman who wants to look pleasing to her husband, a single woman who wants to make a favourable impression on a shidduch, or a kallah who wants photos that she will be proud to show anyone and everyone, it's important to have an understanding of what colours suit you.

So, to put it differently, we are a holy nation, a nation that Hashem wants to lead the others spiritually. If we present ourselves well externally, albeit in a tzniusdik fashion, won't that further our intended purpose in this world?

As for me, my colouring does not fall easily into any one category (I always seem to be the exception in everything, LOL), so I'm still cracking my head deciphering my correct category. I think I'm going to just bite the bullet and get a book from the library. If anyone is interested in learning more, I have a bunch of links bookmarked, so feel free to post a comment and I'll be happy to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment