Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Briefing

I had expected that the deposition would be a couple of hours, as our paralegal mentioned last week. Unfortunately, it would seem that calculation was a couple of hours for each of us, which means I have just dragged myself home after a 4 1/2 hour grueling pow-wow. If that was the briefing, what the heck is tomorrow going to be like? I've already been forewarned that the session tomorrow will run all day. Unbelievable. If I wasn't so exhausted, I would say I'm going to have problems sleeping tonight. Thankfully, in that department, my only concern is that the deposition is called for first thing in the morning, so I'm going to have wake up crazy early in order to get there on time.

Right at the end of everything today, our lawyer realized that the defendant has minimal insurance coverage. In plain English, that means that he was carrying less than you or I carry on our vehicles, unless you are one of the gazillion people in this country who drive without insurance. So my thought is, why are we even bothering? I mean, here I am, being asked all kinds of really graphic, embarrassing questions, and for what? For the crazy low amount of insurance this Livery Driver was carrying - I didn't even know you were allowed by law to carry such a low cap- even if I am awarded the full amount under his policy, once the lawyers take their 33 1/3, I may have enough for a week in Hawaii.

For me, what this whole lawsuit has been about is ensuring that I can meet any future bills that I may incur due to the accident (chasve shalom!). More to the point, and it has taken me a while to realize this, but the lawsuit is also about the fact that halachically speaking, this man must pay damages to rectify what he did. In effect, the lawsuit is about a Torahdik type of justice. But when I consider that he was inconsiderate in the amount of insurance he was carrying, I must admit that it gets me upset. I am a yekki, and to think that someone who drives a livery van for a living, which could potentially do much damage to other vehicles and drivers, chose to carry such a paltry amount of insurance seems selfish. In the end though, I suppose that's my problem, and I'm just going to have to suck it up.

Anyhow, since it all is for the best regardless of the outcome, Hashem should just help me get through tomorrow intact. I will of course keep you all posted as to what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment