Wednesday, March 5, 2008

It's About Time

One thing about me: I love simchas. Wedding, bar mitzvahs, brit, baby naming- I will be there with bells on. My favorite though is without a doubt weddings. Such a miracle, each wedding. And a total affirmation that Hashem plans everything from even before we are born. What could be more beautiful than that?

Last year, while in aveilus, I unfortunately could not attend simchas. And, living in Brooklyn, there were several I had to decline attending. For one very close friend, I made an exception and attended her son's wedding as the unofficial "photographer". It was very difficult. On the one hand I wanted desperately to be joyous with her, and on the other hand, I was prohibited from doing so. Instead, I had to spend the affair avoiding listening to music, eating separately ( which made me feel like I had a big sign over my head declaring my then-status), and basically just trying to concentrate unemotionally on garnering some key photographs. I will admit to breaking down finally and sobbing when the dancing began in full force. My husband was wonderful. Suffice it to say, I do not suggest the experience to anyone.

B'H', this month we have 3 simchas to attend, two chatunahs and one bar mitzvah. Very exciting. I have already planned what I am going to wear (I am a yekki). But more than anything, I am looking forward to performing the mitzvah that last year I was prohibited from fulfilling: gladdening the kallah (and chattan, but more so the kallah for me. I will leave the chattan duties to my husband!). And to being reminded of all the wonderful lessons that chatunahs teach us: that marriage is our duty and our privilege, renders us complete and increases our kedushah, and demonstrates that we owe everything in our lives to Hashem. To name but a few.

I am sure I will have many more posts on the topic of various simchas. For now, I am just thrilled at the good fortune of my loved ones, and look forward to both revelling in their joy and fulfilling any mitzvahs I am now free to perform.

So, as they say, we should only know simchas! And with that, what else is there really to say?

No comments:

Post a Comment